Okay, so last night we had a Young Women's Activity at church (I am the 1st Counselor over Miamaids). The Beehives were in charge and we did a Service Scavenger Hunt. Each item of service completed earned us a portion of our ice cream sundae at the end of the night. For instance, writing a thank you letter earned you the ice cream bowl...playing a game with a child earned you a cherry...cleaning a bathroom earned you one scoop of ice cream, etc. Well, at the very end of the list was a way to earn the entire sundae all at once. If we were to hand out a Book of Mormon to somebody not a member of our church, we earned the entire sundae. So we headed off and checked off nearly the entire list.
Then Sister Secrist a return missionary of less than a couple of weeks asked, "Is there anyone who wants to share a Book of Mormon with someone?" I automatically thought of our neighbors who Shane and I have been prompted several times to invite to church, or meet with the missionies, etc.
So off we headed to their house...I was so nervous!!! Keep in mind that this family does their best to raise a good family, but they struggle with drinking and smoking and have never been to church in their lives! So there we were serving them and the last piece of service was all up to me. I shared with them what the Book of Mormon was, bore my testimony of why it was important to me and my family. They excepted it with a smile and a hug. Ahhhh!
I can't tell you how nerve-racking that was!! I told the other leaders later that giving birth wasn't anywhere near as scary as sharing the gospel. In my heart, I know it doesn't have to be that way, so the more I share, the easier it will become. So I left the night with such a good feeling in my heart!
So I enourage all of you out there to get out and share the gospel with your friends and neighbors...it's so rewarding!
Then Sister Secrist a return missionary of less than a couple of weeks asked, "Is there anyone who wants to share a Book of Mormon with someone?" I automatically thought of our neighbors who Shane and I have been prompted several times to invite to church, or meet with the missionies, etc.
So off we headed to their house...I was so nervous!!! Keep in mind that this family does their best to raise a good family, but they struggle with drinking and smoking and have never been to church in their lives! So there we were serving them and the last piece of service was all up to me. I shared with them what the Book of Mormon was, bore my testimony of why it was important to me and my family. They excepted it with a smile and a hug. Ahhhh!
I can't tell you how nerve-racking that was!! I told the other leaders later that giving birth wasn't anywhere near as scary as sharing the gospel. In my heart, I know it doesn't have to be that way, so the more I share, the easier it will become. So I left the night with such a good feeling in my heart!
So I enourage all of you out there to get out and share the gospel with your friends and neighbors...it's so rewarding!










3 comments:
Shaneen,
This is FABULOUS!! I love that you did something scary, and that it was well received. Those MiaMaids will never forget that experience, trust me. You are such a great lady. Thanks for sharing your happy story!
Yet another example why I love you so much, Shaneen! Thank you for following the spirit and sharing it's blessings with us!
Thanks Shaneen! I am teary now. Why is it that sharing the gospel is so hard? I appreciate your confidence...and will take it as motivation for myself!
Post a Comment