Feb 15, 2008

Our Valentine's Day

Our family had a great Valentine's Day! Dad came home early due to the heavy snow. We did our Valentine's gift game...a little tradition I had growing up that my Dad did for us girls and mom. Basically you buy gifts (usually inexpensive ones including candy...I spent a total of $10 this year!). Then you lay them out on a table. Then you call in the kids and one by one they get to go around the table and pick their gifts. I think the kids really enjoyed it. Usually I am not about the gifts, but I noticed that since we are not doing gifts for my kids birthdays, I figure we could do some gifts for V-day. (For my kids' birthdays, we've been spending the money on their birthday parties...i.e. Tyler's pool party...we paid for all of his cousins, for Kayla's we are paying for all of her girl cousins to get their nails done, etc.) After the gifts were given, we headed to the pool! It was great...we basically had the whole pool, lazy river, hot tub, and slides to ourselves. Then we came home and I began my annual Valentine's dinner. Each year I make a special restaurant-style dinner. Last year I think was the best...we ate Asian-style and had edamame, sushi (yuck!), chowmein, orange chicken, etc. all served as different courses on awesome Asian dishes Tosha loaned me. This year wasn't as great, but still turned out fine. The theme this year was "Red." We started off with salad with pink ranch dressing, homemade rolls with red strawberry jam, and red cran-raspberry and sprite cocktail. Then we had cheese sticks with red marinara sauce. Next was the main dish...chicken parmesan with red marinara sauce (no noodles), red potatoes, and cauliflower. The table was decorated with red cherries (fake...of course!), pink whoppers in white bowls, red roses, and candles. The kids thought it was neat to have a candlelit dinner, although Shana immediately began to sing "Happy Birthday!" We were so stuffed, we couldn't eat our dessert...red strawberry icecream with whipped cream. Oh well...we'll save that for later! Then we went around the table to share why we love our family. The kids got ready for bed, we had scripture study and prayer. Then Shane gave me a massage and I was in heaven! Shane and I usually don't exchange gifts for Valentine's day, but instead more service-oriented gifts. Love that!!



2 comments:

Karen Kunzler said...

I was actually thinking of you on Valentines Day wondering if you were making your AMAZING dinner. So happy that you have kept the tradition. As for the Happy B-day song it sounds like something Steve would do...silly men:)!

AnnCP said...

What a fun tradtition. Is it too late to start something like that when all the kids are gone??????