Mar 2, 2008

Kayla's "Salon Party"

On Kayla's Birthday I took her to a real salon and got her first professional nail polish ($5). She was in heaven! We celebrated that night with our family and we gave her our gifts.

Then we held Kayla's 6th Birthday Party this past Saturday and I thought it was so much fun! Kayla has always had an interest in beauty (i.e. make-up, lotions, pampering, etc.) She takes after her mother in that subject! I've always been intrigued by it, too!

In fact, I told a story at her party. Kayla was born on February 28, 2002...but on February 27th I was assigned to teach the Relief Society sisters about make-up techniques in my BYU 146th married student ward. That entire day I had contractions at work and they continued to get stronger and stronger and closer together. I was worried that I wasn't able to teach my class and even debated about canceling. Well, I decided to could go through with it even though my contractions were really close together and strong. I went to the class and my friend who was in charge said that I could and should go home, but I told her teaching might take my mind off the contractions. What's interesting is as soon as I began teaching until I stopped, there were absolutely no contractions! I left the class as soon as I was done teaching. When I touched the door to leave the contractions began. Looking back, I like to think it was because Kayla wanted to hear my tips and tricks on make-up...she's such a girly girl! And still today when I prepare for these classes on skin care and make-up for Young Women, Kayla is right there with me listening and trying out the techniques.


Anyway, so I decided Kayla's party was going to be a salon party. We were going to take everyone to our local salon and get a nail polish, but I finally decided we could do much more at my house. So I had a few of Kayla's friends, several of her cousins, and their moms come and pamper themselves. I taught them how to do foot baths, hand sugar scrubs, finger and toe nail polishing, etc. It was so much fun! Then we had angel food cake, whipped cream, and strawberries for dessert. Thanks to all who came to wish Kayla a happy birthday! She absolutely loved having you there!


Alexa, Azlyn, and Sarandon Nugent
Kendra, Kylene, Kennedy, and Kala Karren
Tosha, Mallory, McKenna, and Kendra Mack
Cheryl and Jolie Altman
Adrie and Grace Peterson
Sarah and Mahri McLean

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Looks like a fun party! It's great to see your sisters, too. I'll bet you guys have a great time all there together.

Shaneen said...

It's been really fun living close to each other!

AmyLyn said...

Shaneen! I'm so glad you found us too! Your family is beautiful, and you look great! Love you guys!

Dave and Sherri said...

Holy cow, you are such an amazing mom! I can't believe she's already 6... Doesn't time just FLY by?!?! She is a beautiful girl and totally takes after her mom! Tell her we send our birthday wishes to her as well :)

Ku'ulei said...

How fun to have your sisters there. That is such a fun party idea!